One of the most insidious forms of emotional abuse…
Named after the film Gaslight, it subtly and slowly makes the target question his/her reality, deferring to the abuser. After weeks, months, or years of this, the target no longer knows what’s real and has completely lost their sense of self, but the worst part of it is they rarely know it as they’ve been slowly brainwashed that entire time. They only realize it when they’re out of the toxic relationship and can gain some perspective and support. Please, be on the lookout for early signs of Gaslighting. It is insidious and traumatic.
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
~ by omgrey on May 5, 2012.
Posted in Podcasts
Tags: abuse, author, compersion, consent, deception, emotional abuse, enthusiastic, fear, gaslight, gaslighting, healing, heart, heartbroken, help, honesty, insecurity, insidious, intimacy, jealous, jealousy, lie, lies, love, LTR, misogyny, non-monogamy, o.m. grey, olivia grey, open, open marriage, passion, podcast, poly, polyamory, relationships, romance, self esteem, self-protection, sex, steampunk, trauma, traumatic, trust