Safe to Burn
I’m determined to protect myself while I’m there. I will not give up one more community out of fear.
Unlike the others, this community supports me. This one takes sexual assault very seriously. This one will do whatever it can to protect me from even seeing my assailant, let alone being confronted by him.
It’ll be a very interesting burn to say the least.
I’m also putting up an interactive art installation on the playa called SASS: Sexual Assault Survivors Speak. I got the acronym because when I’d stand up to my ex he’d say, “I love it when you sass me.” I’ve since realized that was a condescending way to say “It’s cute you think you’re my equal.” On this interactive art installation, survivors can write letters to their attackers, name them, post poetry and stories and pictures. It will be burned at the end of the week in a cleansing ritual.
I’m not fucking playing around anymore. I’m taking my life and my safety back.
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
~ by omgrey on August 15, 2012.
Posted in Lost in the Aether, Trauma & Recovery
Tags: austin poly rapist, author, b.e.d., black rock city, broken heart, bureau of erotic discourse, burning man, fear, grief, healing, heartbroken, hushville, infidelity, love, misogyny, narcissism, narcissist, narcissistic personality disorder, non-monogamy, o.m. grey, olivia grey, open, open marriage, polyamory, rape, restraining order, sex, sex positive, shattered